Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:21:39 +0200

Am Dienstag, 23. September 2008 schrieb Mark Polesky:
> [...]

Yes, for a "sempre pp" that's what both an old engraving from 189x and one
from 1996 do. Actually, one instrument has a p and all others have "sempre
pp". The p and pp are aligned with each other.

> not the italic-text, but intuitively that seems
> wrong to me. Perhaps it depends on the specific circumstance, but I'm
> thinking of something like "poco a poco piĆ¹ f". As a musician, I'd
> start "poco a poco"-ing as soon as the first word starts -- I wouldn't
> wait till the "f".

True, but then "poco a poco" is probably a bad example, as for me the "poco a
poco"-ing starts with the text, so you definitely shouldn't align the f on
the note (since the f does not affect the note, but it gradually evolved a
few notes later)
Imagine a "subito pp". If you are sight-reading such a mark, it's really easy
to miss the fact that the pp should start immedately at the spot
where "subito" is placed.

> That said, I wonder what the treatises have to say
> on the topic (eg. Gardner Read etc.).

Gardner Read is quiet on such dynamics with additional comments. However,
here's what he says in general about dynamic markings (p.252):
"In general, dynamic marks should be placed //as close as possible// to the
notes they affect -- if this position is consistent with over-all visual
clarity."

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --