Re: Printing problem with Evince

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Printing problem with Evince
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:59:26 +0200

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
> Hmm.  I changed the print driver to a ps one.  That driver wasn't
> available when I was using the cups interface to hook up to the
> printer--very limited options for drivers on Mac's cups system--but once
> the printer was installed that way I was able to reconfigure using the
> regular OSX interface.  I printed a page from Preview and it looks
> great.  :)
I'd be surprised if it has been otherwise. :-)

> [...]
> Maybe I need to specify a higher resolution when running Lilypond on
> this file?  The global staff size is set to 16.  Do you think this is
> why it could be printing with fuzzy edges?  Doesn't seem likely but I
> suppose it's possible...
First, as far as I know there is no way to set the resolution for PDF or
PostScript output. On the other hand, this is because it does not matter
for vector drawings (which are used by LilyPond) anyway. IIRC, PDF uses
like 32bit resolution on the positioning and size of objects, and this
exceeds by far what you're able to distinguish on a printout.
If there's a single program on this planet allowing you to get the
correct view at a high zoom level from the document, it's up to the
printing driver or rendering engine of your viewer.

Generally, you only have to bother with resolution settings unless you
have any rasterized part in your output (embedded PNG or something).