Newby questions

From: tim
Subject: Newby questions
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:55:56 -0400

I've just installed Lilypond in the past week. Starting from the vocal music
template in the
manual, I've printed a couple songs, which my wife and I will sing from at
church tomorrow.
The results are beautiful!

There are some things I don't understand. I invoke the program from the command
line:

lilypond --pdf  filename.ly

On my WInXP machine, this works fine. The program spits out some status lines,
and the
*.ps and *.pdf files appear. On my Win Vista laptop, when I type the command
the version
line appears ... and I wait. It sits there about 45 or 50 seconds, then
(finally) runs normally.
Does anybody know what's going on hre, and what I can do to fix it?

Here's one more: I have a section like this:

\new Staff = women
    <<
    \new Voice =
    "sopranos" { \voiceOne << \global \sopMusic >> }

    \new Lyrics = sopranos { s1 }
    \new Lyrics = sopranosb { s2 }
    \new Staff = men

    <<
      \clef bass
      \new Voice =
      "basses" { \voiceTwo <<\global \bassMusic >> }

    \context Lyrics = sopranos \lyricsto sopranos \sopWords
    \context Lyrics = sopranosb \lyricsto sopranos \sopWordsb

My question is about the "\new Lyrics"  command. What's the {s1} referring to?
It uses
"sopransob" to find the right set of lyrics. When I had four verses, I used s1,
s2, s3, and s4.
got an error message saying that 3 is not a duration. True, but what's that got
to do with
anything.

--
Tim Slattery