moving individual bar numbers / 'padding' beginning of bar?

From: jo.clarinet
Subject: moving individual bar numbers / 'padding' beginning of bar?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:43:23 -0700 (PDT)

The piece of music I'm arranging (Suppe's Light Cavalry Overture, arranged
for recorder orchestra - I've started by 'LilyPonding' the contrabass part,
as that is the most straightforward for a first try) is coming on well. The
contrabass part is now completely playable, but there are a couple of things
which I know will be irritating if I don't fix them. I have searched, but
can't find anything relevant.

There are just a few places where bar numbers (I have them every five, and
have centred them on the barlines as that worked best in the end) clash
slightly with other things, eg. covering the upward stroke of a flat at the
beginning of a bar, and the first bit of a fermata sign. It would seem that
I need to do padding of some sort - either to get just the relevant bar
numbers moved up a little (but NOT the rest of them) or else somehow have a
bit more room at the beginning of those bars before the notes/signs start.
Has anyone got any ideas? I'm off out for the day pretty soon (playing), but
am back this evening...

Jo