Re: "Shifted" fermata over/below rests

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: "Shifted" fermata over/below rests
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:35:23 +0200

On 11.09.2008, at 17:26, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Related question: Why do you only get one fermata when you do the following:
b4^\fermata_\fermata

More generally: why can't you add the same articulation above and below a note, using a
construct like
c^._.
As long as you specify different articulations, you can add several of
them, both above and below a note, for example
c^-_.

Answering myself, I found the following comment in the source code:
/* Discard double articulations for part-combining.  */

I'm not convinced that this is the best solution. The part combiner should do this in a more clever way if needed and I'm fairly sure I have seen printed scores where the same articulation appears
both above and below a note. Of course, there are ugly workarounds.

  /Mats

I've wondered that as well. Especially with piano fingerings for chords, where I may want to specifically have 1 finger above the note and another finger below.