Re: convert-ly broken on Mac OS X "Tiger"?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: convert-ly broken on Mac OS X "Tiger"?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:11:07 +0200

On 2008/09/09 21:31 -0700, Kurt Kroon wrote:
> I'm getting an error when I try to update a file to v.2.11.57 on Mac OS X
> "Tiger", running on a G4 PowerBook. (The file works fine in v.2.10.33,
> though I need to do some more tweaks to fix some minor layout issues.)

> Has anyone else encountered this problem?
> Has anyone who has encountered it found a way to resolve it? (even as far as
> hacking convertrules.py)

This is a known issue: Python scripts provided with LilyPond officially
require Python 2.4 or newer, but MacOS X Tiger only provides 2.3.  In
this case, convert-ly conversion rules have been rewritten using
decorator syntax rules during 2.11 development, which Python 2.3 doesn't
support.

Providing Python 2.4 in GUB binaries for MacOS X Tiger is probably the
right solution, but it's not too hard to do only if Python 2.4 can be
cross-compiled on Linux for MacOS X.  Not I'm not able to do this in GUB
(yet).  In the meantime, you may want to install Python 2.4 or 2.5 on
your system.

Cheers,
John