Re: Increasing the gap between beams

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Increasing the gap between beams
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 09:24:38 +0100

Elliot

I believe the following is true, but it doesn't really help you much. If anyone knows better, please correct me.

AFAICS the gap property of Beam is no longer used. The positioning of beams is automatically determined to give positions related to the staff lines in a process called "quanting". If you look at any LilyPond score you will see that the beams' starting and ending points are positioned so they either just touch or are centered over a staff/ledger line, or are centered in a staff space. This avoids tiny gaps between beams and staff lines which would look ugly, especially on horizontal beams. The process is a complex weighting algorithm, so I doubt if there is an easy solution for your thicker beams. The algorithm seems to give poor results for beam thicknesses greater than about 0.6.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elliot Isaacson" <address@hidden>