Re: SLopUF: Sumatra and issue 635 (pdf locking)

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: SLopUF: Sumatra and issue 635 (pdf locking)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:23:38 +0200

James E. Bailey wrote
open the pdf in a web [b]rowser ... and then just refresh the page.

Yes, a copy (like viewer.pdf) would then be held in the browser's cache. I have the pdf add-on disabled because it obstructs my browsing habits. But I tried this out just to see how it felt (using AR8 in IE6): Lilypond still got blocked, so presumably the cache was bypassed.

Gilles THIBAULT wrote:
Here is the little script (lily.bat ) i use to run lilypond.

I had thought that the automatic reloading offered by Sumatra would let me eliminate the mouse drudgery *without* using a script. But the Lilypond conflict prevents that. And now I see that automation makes important the secondary things which I hadn't really noticed when in manual mode: - the sync problem I mentioned - keeping the viewer window on top (or not). I have now tried out 3 different methods: A using automatic reload, via a copy as I outlined. This needs an annoying initialisation phase to start up the viewer. B closing the view but not the viewer and then reopening the view in the same viewer instance (as I did manually). This needs no initialisation but offers no other advantages C using taskkill and start, as you do. This puts the viewer window on top by default. At the moment I favour C. Here is my version (simplified) , which also copes with the log getting out of sync - dummy.log says "nothing logged". __________________________________________________

taskkill /FI "WINDOWTITLE eq 1.pdf*"
taskkill /FI "WINDOWTITLE eq 1.log*"
copy dummy.log 1.log
del 1.pdf

1.ly

if exist 1.pdf start 1.pdf start notepad 1.log

Bertalan Fodor wrote
LilyPondTool's PDF viewer solves this problem by automatically closing ...

Sumatra solves the Write problem but the Delete problem remains. On the other hand, this has now become almost irrelevant to me because, in automatic mode, I want the pdf deleted before Lilypond is started.

Someone might just have happened by and concluded that also on Windows Lilypond should not delete (or at least not abort when delete fails). Maybe the "SLopUF" warned them off. Or maybe it's

cecause cackend clogs can ce a cit coring.

Cheers,
Robin