Re: Beginner problem with PianoStaff

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Beginner problem with PianoStaff
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 19:50:11 -0500

Hi Don,

When I ran your code it worked (i.e. didn't crash Lilypond) but I'm not using the same version. You're using a pretty old version. Running it on 2.11.56 worked fine. I've adjusted things just a bit to put them in a more usual order (this is something that's very hard to get used to when you first start using Lilypond). Try running this modified version of your code and see if it helps. It looks a bit funny seeing the bass octaves in the right hand, but if that's how it's supposed to be then no problem. If they're supposed to be in the left hand then just switch the notes from one staff to the other. Good luck,

Jonathan

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff \relative c' {
    \time 4/4
    \clef bass
  }

  \new Staff \relative c' {
    \clef bass
    \time 4/4
    R1
    \clef treble
  }

Don Ravey wrote:
I've just begun to learn LilyPond and already have this problem: when I try to use PianoStaff, LilyPond crashes without even writing a log entry. I uninstalled and reinstalled LP with no effect. If I remove the PianoStaff reference, it behaves as expected (although I can't get the results I want, due to my inexperience). I am running LP 2.10.13 under Windows XP. Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Don

\version "2.10.13"
\header {
title = "Keeping Up Appearances Theme"
composer = "Nick Ingman"
arranger = \markup { \fontsize #0.1 "Arr. by Donald Ravey" }
meter = "Brightly"
}

\relative c' {
 \new PianoStaff