Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:29:07 +0200

I think the lilypond in that folder is lilypond, the program. If you type /home/tomc/bin/lilypond what do you get?

Am 19.08.2008 um 13:15 schrieb Tom Cloyd:

Jan, James,

I continue to be amazed at the quick responses on this list. Fully
matches the response time on the Ruby list (my favorite programming
language).

As to the problem:

Please note this...

$ cd '/home/tomc/bin'
address@hidden:~/bin$ lilypond -h
The program 'lilypond' is currently not installed.  You can install it
by typing:
sudo apt-get install lilypond
bash: lilypond: command not found
$

This isn't a path problem, I think. "lilypond -h" may not be quite
right, but I should have gotten something other than what I got, if the
"lilypond" script that IS in the dir executed. Here's the script -

#!/bin/sh
me=`basename $0`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/tomc/lilypond/usr/lib/"
exec "/home/tomc//lilypond/usr/bin/$me" "$@"

I don't understand most of this, believe me.

A guess - might there be a symlink to the older version I had installed
from the package installer? I DID uninstall it, but, could the symlink
still be there, and be executing rather than the script in the dir? If
so, how do I find it so I can delete it??? (This problem has baffled me before. I output the symlinks in my OS once, trying to find something -
big mistake - there were 75,000+.)

If I click on /home/tomc/bin/lilypond, nothing much appears to happen.

Ideas???

t.

Tom Cloyd wrote:
I don't know how to find the time to learn enough, so I'm going to have to ask for help here.

I've installed developmental ver. 2.11.56-1 from the Ly website (nice! no compilation needed - thanks).

But I cannot get execution. My OS = Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1.

The installer created these 2 directories:

* #1 - /home/tomc/bin - the installer script's console output said that this would contain a script "created as a shortcut". It doesn't give a name for the script. Not helpful. This dir's contents:

abc2ly
convert-ly
etf2ly
lilypond
lilypond-book
lilypond-invoke-editor
lilypond-wrapper.guile
lilypond-wrapper.python
midi2ly
mup2ly
musicxml2ly
uninstall-lilypond

The only thing here that's looks like it might be the shortcut script is "lilypond". My user acct. owns it, and it's marked executable, but...

address@hidden:~/bin$ lilypond
The program 'lilypond' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install lilypond
bash: lilypond: command not found
address@hidden:~/bin$ I have no idea what's up at this point.

* #2 /home/tomc/lilypond/ - this contains a lot of stuff. Nothing I've yet seen or found tells me what this is. The README in root begins "This installer contains an aggregration..." What are they talking about? Doesn't make any sense to me. What IS this stuff?

At this point I'm feeling rather stupid, and exasperated that someone hasn't left a more clear trail. I believe it's called documentation, and since I wasn't born knowing about this directory I need to be told. I simply have not the time to go on another hunting trip to figure this out. I'm already three hours down the road with this new install as it is, and still have nothing working...and it's 3:20AM. I'd like to know how NOT to have this sort of experience, but short of taking 6 months off to learn...whatever...I cannot imagine what would do the trick.

So...can someone tell me what I should do at this point? I just want to get on with USING this new install, if possible.

Thanks in advance. I'm dead in the water without the generous help of this list.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< address@hidden >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)