vcenter help

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: vcenter help
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:38:04 +0200

I'm reading through 1.8.2.3, trying to understand how to center two lines of text. How does \vcenter work? The documentation doesn't really provide an example, so I'm kinda confused. I got it to work with \center-align, but I'm understanding because of recent discussion that sometime in the future \center-align won't be used for this.

\version "2.11.54"

\markup \column { \vcenter { "first line" "second line" } }

\markup \center-align {"first line" "second line" }