Re: autobeams

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: autobeams
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:56:09 +0200

Am 14.08.2008 um 13:58 schrieb Jonathan Kulp:
Perhaps even better: don't use the \\ but explicitly
instantiate one of the voices
(related to a recent email discussion).

When I removed the \\, I got errors about clashing columns. I'll check into the explicit voice instantiation thing. For now I like the \oneVoice solution for this example.

The \oneVoice solution did not work for the example from GDP I'm working on, though. The autobeaming still doesn't appear. Here's the original code and then the fix I made for it. In James' example, the \oneVoice fixed stem direction and autobeaming. In this example, there was no problem with stem direction to begin with, just with autobeaming. If you see a more elegant way please share :)

explicitly instantiating the voice would be
cadenza = \relative c' {
 c4 d8 << { \voiceOne e f g } \new Voice { \voiceTwo d4. } >>
 \oneVoice g4 f2 g4 g
}

\new GrandStaff <<
 \new Staff { \cadenza c'4 }
 \new Staff {
   #(ly:export (mmrest-of-length cadenza))
   c'4
 }

I'm not a big fan, especially for something so short, because it's so much more typing.