Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:10:40 -0600

On 8/13/08 5:38 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:42:37 +0000 (UTC)
> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Chris Snyder <csnyder <at> adoromusicpub.com> writes:
>>

>>> "Note that \textLengthOn does not necessarily increase the spacing
>>> of the note that the text is attached to. Rather, the shortest
>>> moment in time when the text occurs will get the added space. For
>>> instance, in 4/4 time if text is added to a whole-note while
>>> another staff contains quarter-notes, the space will be added
>>> between the first and second quarter-notes of the measure."
>>>

>> If you'd like to propose additions to the docs, we'd appreciate it if
>> you'd tell us where the addition should go.
>
> I'm sure this is in NR 1.8 Text.  That's officially Valentin's
> exclusive providence for the next 6 days.  :)
> (well, his and mine -- I always reserve the right to do anything
> to stuff that GDP people are working on)

I suspect it's in NR 1.8 Text too, and I could find it easily with either an
index or a search of the web page.

However, I was primarily aiming at teaching a potential doc contributor
(both Chris and anybody else who happened to read along) how to best
contribute to the docs.

And I promise, I'll stay out of 1.8 unless/until I have Valentin's
permission to make changes.

>> Also, in a case like this, a simple example that shows the behavior
>> being described can help understand possibly-confusing wording.
>> If you could work up a simple example (one bar long) that
>> demonstrates the point you're trying to make, I'll add it to the
>> documentation.
>
> Enthusiastically seconded -- text is easy to misunderstand,
> especially for non-native speakers.  A single bar example can
> clear up so many questions.

That was the key insight I've had in writing documentation.  Instead of
trying to explain everything in words (which takes a long time and is hard
to read), just explain the point you're after and show a short example.
That way, if anybody has questions, they can search the example.

Thanks,

Carl