Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:40:47 -0400

Proposal 1 with the (left-column, center-column, right-column) seems most intuitive to me.

Ralph

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

It's generally agreed that \center-align is confusingly named; users
expect it to be related to \left- and \right-align when in fact it
centres a column of text.

As a solution, I present Mats's proposals for renaming:

Proposal 1:

Use
left-align, center-align and right-align
for the horizontal alignment of a single markup and
column, centered-column
(or left-column, center-column, right-column)
for vertically stacked markups.

Proposal 2:

Use hleft, hcenter and hright for the horizontal alignment of a single markup

Use left-align, center-align, right-align for vertically stacked markups

I favour the first option (using \center-column), since it keeps to a
minimum the number of syntax changes.

I welcome your comments.

Thanks,
Neil