Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:21:28 -0700

Ralph Palmer wrote:
Anyone else remember Booker T. and the . . . ?

In any case, it might make sense to use at least some of the acronyms judiciously. There is a wide variety of users on this list, and many of the discussions are, while not exclusive, at least aimed at a particular audience. I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to change the vocabulary based on the discussion and/or audience; actually, we already do. If Graham or Valentin uses NR or LSR in a response to a question or statement of mine, I'll understand. If I'm responding to an apparent newbie, using LM could possibly either confuse them more or turn them off to the LilyPond community in general. I don't understand a lot of the code discussions on the list (especially ones with long strings of Scheme coding), but that doesn't keep me from using the list.
If you mean a private reply to your question I agree with you, but on the list, it will still be read by all.

Patrick