Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:09:23 +0200

Then why not call it human? For example: Guide and Reference.
Abbreviations are evil, because they are always clear and unambigous for someone who uses them or used them recently, but they confuse newcomers, take time and mental energy to decode for not so regular uses, and annoy me :-)

Not to mention the problem with referencing 1.2 in the mails, as the numbering of sections will probably change over time and looking in the mail archive for an answer will be useless or misleading.

So instead reading LM 1.2 I would recommend reading "About the documentation" section in the Guide. Note that I'm talking about the lilypond-user list where beginners, enthusiastic newcomers and such are present.

Bert

Graham Percival wrote:
What part of "in a few months" was unclear?  In a few months, once
2.12 is out and the only (stable) docs refer to LM and NR, it will
be second nature.

If anybody doesn't understand what these two letter acronyms refer
to, they clearly haven't ready LM 1.2, and therefore I have
absolutely *no* sympathy for them.  We've spent over a thousand
hours working on the docs in the last year alone, and probably
approaching four thousand hours in total.  If people don't read
those docs, they have only themselves to blame.

- Graham

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:03:33 +0200