Re: Comments on Learning Manual 3 -- Fundamental concepts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Comments on Learning Manual 3 -- Fundamental concepts
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:39:09 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:15:35 +0200
"John Mandereau" <address@hidden> wrote:

In 'Introduction to the LilyPond file structure':
by default, \header does not use the same fields depending on its
scope (\book or \score), so IMO it's better to show the more standard
file structure with a \header outside the \score.

I disagree.  Shoving \header outside of a \book or \score is a
shorthand, and I'd rather keep the "basic" example as basic as
(reasonably) possibly.  Also, having a \header on its own will
result in it being applied to either the \book or \score -- if we
explicitly stick \header inside the \score, there's no ambiguity.
You miss the point! The problem is that if you do
\score{
\relative c'{ c d e f }
\header{
 title = "Here's the title, that's never printed."

then no title is printed, since the title is typeset at the \book level
and no header fields are specified at the \book level. Having a
header outside the score is not a shorthand, it's absolutely
necessary of you want e.g. the title printed.

  /Mats