SLopUF = sporadic low-powered user feedback

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: SLopUF = sporadic low-powered user feedback
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:37:11 +0200

Graham Percival wrote on -dev
Well, the fact is that most users don't seem interested in helping with the docs, even to the extent of reading them. :|

I had my first contact with Lilypond over two years ago (2.6.5 on win98). I was extremely confused before I could get it to compile something, even though I wasn't expecting a GUI application. In my initial enthusiasm I wrote up a short account of my newbie experience, thinking this might be useful to the experts, especially those writing the docs. But on rereading it, I realized it wasn't very helpful. It jumped around, touching on all sorts of irrelevancies, i.e. it was just as confused as I was. And then it just might have been construed as a rant. So I sat on it. And soon it referred to an obsolete version and an unsupported OS.

This still applies in a sense:
I can offer maybe 10% essence and 90% personal confusion, i.e. not only is the user low-powered but timely feedback would be too. I will preface any such offerings with "SLopUF" to warn off those readers not interested in baroque instantiations of trivial use cases.
Cheers,
Robin

r0b