Re: WikiLily - a lilipond wiki

From: Mike Blackstock
Subject: Re: WikiLily - a lilipond wiki
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:26:27 -0400

Graham Percival wrote:

I hope that you're using safe mode and/or jails, otherwise any
user can execute any command on your system as the wiki user.
Including rm ~ -rf, which would probably hose all previous
contributions to the wiki.

Hi Graham.

The wikitex extension communicates with lilypond via a 'modtex' daemon, which runs lilypond in a chroot environment. I'm not sure if that meets your criteria for a 'jail' but there you have it. It's a bit of a moot point for now, cause I'm using the
modtex daemon on another, proven installation.

As for security breaches generally, I had a baptism by fire (see
http://news.cnet.com/Amnesty-International-hacked/2100-1023-279275.html) so I keep my ear to the ground for that sort of thing. Unless you've heard something
different, the wikitex-l archives, dating back to 2005, make no mention of
security breaches with the system.

thanks and cheers,
Mike