Re: GDP: NR 1.5 Simultaneous, second draft

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.5 Simultaneous, second draft
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:53:03 +0200 (CEST)

Daniel:
> Karl Hammar wrote:
> > Graham:

> >> Is that really the "right" method?  I thought that \\ *was* the
> >> right method... in fact, isn't \\ exactly the same as what you
> >> propose?
> >
> > No,
>
> Why not? I find myself wanting to go into two (or three) voices and back
> again very frequently when typesetting percussion parts, and the 'right'
> way is far too long-winded - often it would be longer than the music it
> encloses. I always use the method given in the second example in NR
> 2.5.1.3 Percussion Staves, i.e. explicitly instantiating the voices
> beforehand and using \\, in combination with skip-of-length. Does this

That is strange, why do you need to do the \new DrumVoice-lines in
drummode? Example of 2.5.1.3:

         \new DrumStaff <<
           \new DrumVoice = "1" { s1 *2 }
           \new DrumVoice = "2" { s1 *2 }
           \drummode {
             bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4
             <<
               { \repeat unfold 16 hh16 }
               \\
               { bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4 }

           }

in "normal" mode they is not needed:

        \version "2.11.52"
        \new Staff
        \relative g' {
          f4 c' f, c'
          <<
            { \repeat unfold 16 e16 }
            \\
            { f,4 c'4 f,4 c'4 }

        }

This "looks" about the same.

> count as the right way, or is it still the wrong way? As a user, it
> would be much easier for me to just be able to tell Lilypond once that
> I'm doing drums, and then just put the music in, without using any kind
> of "method" at all.

Ok, what happens if you replace the bd4 sn4 etc. with the snares from
last example of 2.5.1.2 ? By doing it this way, a tie is missing:

        \version "2.11.52"
        \new DrumStaff <<
          \new DrumVoice = "1" { s1 *2 }
          \new DrumVoice = "2" { s1 *2 }
          \drummode {
            sn16 sn8 sn16 sn8 sn8:32~ sn8 sn8 sn4:32~ |
            <<
              { \repeat unfold 16 hh16 }
              \\
              { sn4 sn8 sn16 sn16 sn4 r4  }