Re: \tag can't follow \lyricsto

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: \tag can't follow \lyricsto
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:26:13 +0100

Nicolas Sceaux wrote

Le 15 juil. 08 à 21:02, Trevor Daniels a écrit :

Roman Stawski wrote
<<
\new Staff { \new Voice = "dirge" { c''1 } }
\lyricsto "dirge" \new Lyrics { Whoops }
\tag #'harmony \new Staff { a'1 }

OK, I see what you are trying to do.  The error is that
the order of the commands in the lyrics line is wrong,

Where does this rule come from?

and the \new Lyrics command should be followed by { .. }
just like \new Staff is.

Why should \new SomeThing be followed by { .. } ?

You're quite right, I was too presumptuous in generalising
my workaround to a rule, but I wonder if some advice or
good practice could be formulated which would avoid the
tagged line in this example being interpreted in Lyric mode?

Trevor