Re: dynamic spanner help

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: dynamic spanner help
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:34:30 -0700

Hi James,

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM, James E. Bailey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:25 AM, James E. Bailey <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I've not understood this for a while, and I figure I should probably ask
>> about it. When I have dynamics in a variable, the text spanner shows up and
>> I can't get rid of it.
>
> Also, the \crescTextCresc and \dimTextDim work like there's a \once in front
> of them when they're in the variable.

The Dynamic_engraver was recently split into the
"New_dynamic_engraver" and the "Dynamic_align_engraver", so if you
include these engravers instead of Dynamic_engraver, both of your
examples will work.  Here's the latter one (modified):

\version "2.11.51"
\layout {
    \context {
       \type "Engraver_group"
       \name VocalDynamics
       \alias Voice
       \consists Text_engraver
       \consists "New_dynamic_engraver"
       \consists "Dynamic_align_engraver"
       \consists "Text_engraver"
       \override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic
    }
    \context {\Staff \accepts VocalDynamics}
}
Voice = \relative { e1 f g e a g f d }
VoiceDynamics = \new VocalDynamics {
    \override DynamicTextSpanner #'dash-period = #-1.0
    \dimTextDim
    s1*3\> s1\!
    \crescTextCresc
    s1*3\< s1\!
    \setHairpinDim
}
AlternateDynamics = \new VocalDynamics {
    \dimTextDim
    s1 s\> s s\!
    s1 s\> s s\!
}

\score {
    \new Staff << \VoiceDynamics \Voice>>
    \layout {}
}
\score {
    \new Staff << \AlternateDynamics \Voice >>
    \layout {}
}

\relative c'' {
        \override DynamicTextSpanner #'dash-period = #-1.0
        \crescTextCresc
        c1\< | d | b | c\!
        c\< d b c\!
}