Re: LSR search is broken (was: \repeat with upbeat )

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: LSR search is broken (was: \repeat with upbeat )
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 01:05:27 +0200

2008/7/7 Sebastiano Vigna <address@hidden>:

> Guys, please post this kind of problems. There was simply a wrong update so
> that the index wasn't rebuilt since days. So new snippets were showing up in
> the browsing list (because they are picked from the database in that case)
> but not in a search. I know I should check that things are fine more
> frequently, but please post in case of problems.

Oh, I was just trying to avoid spamming you with reports... :-)

over the past few weeks, here are the few problems I can remember
having (randomly) encountered:
- several problems with the database/Java/Velocity engine/whatever
(errors 505, IIRC)
- sometimes, impossible to get a "preview" from snippets using the ERW
interface (the preview page is blank)
- search function "bugs": for instance,
   -- the name of the tags appeared in the snippets descriptions on
the result page
   -- impossible to locate some snippet by searching terms in their
.ly source code
   -- similarly, the search function doesn't allow for some characters such as #
   -- the problem you've just dealt with.

> The architecture works flawlessly, and I don't know of any problem with the
> search function. The problem is the physical system. It is a machine that is
> sometimes updated aggressively (e.g., to experiment new software). And there
> was of course the DB connection bug--but that has been fixed (the fix caused
> this problem, BTW).

For the record, we all greatly appreciate the LSR architecture. As I
said, I find it encouraging to see that more and more people are using
it almost on a daily basis.

Cheers,
Valentin