Re: notation and tablature (+bend, slide etc.)

From: rosea
Subject: Re: notation and tablature (+bend, slide etc.)
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:22:23 +0200

Hi,

Thanks David for your reaction. I know the notation-tablature of that book is a bit old, Eric Clapton is getting old too ;)

I think the programmers could have some help of someone like you with such an experience in this area!

I don't know if there are Lilypond programmers on this list or if there is a lilyond-dev-list to post this issue on...?

If you want these features too and can give some support in programming, we would like to hear it!

Regards,

Rosea

notesetter wrote:
I'd like to second rosea's sentiment about tablature. I'm just learning
LilyPond and would like to help the programmers improve LilyPond's support
for fretted instrument tablature, including support for bends, slides,
ligado and the various other instrument specific notations.

I've been a professional guitar transcriber and music engraver for about 8
years and I currently work with 2 of the largest publishers on their
guitar/TAB publications on a freelance basis. As of right now, I am prepared
to help in a consulting capacity for improvements in these areas (I have no
background in programming). In the future, I may be able to sponsor new
features (especially in conjunction with other sponsors) that will improve
LilyPond's capacity to write fretted instrument tablature.

If there's anyone working on improving these features currently, please let
me know if you have questions about shapes/exact placement/etc. The Tab
Legend posted by Rosea is a bit outdated. Although most of the symbols in
current usage are similar to those on the legend, I feel their placement in
the score needs to be updated. Caveat: I tend to work slowly, so for me,
this would be a long-term commitment and I wouldn't expect results to be
immediate.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do (consulting on
appearance/placement of symbols, testing new features, etc.)

Thanks to the developers and everyone who posts helpful information to this
list. Of all the notation tools I have used or tried, LilyPond is the most
dynamic and exciting.

Best regards,

David Stocker

rosea wrote: