Re: not-so-ancient flags

From: luis jure
Subject: Re: not-so-ancient flags
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:47:26 -0300

on 2008-06-28 at 14:53 Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

>In your original images, the slant is somewhere betwen 40 and 45
>degrees... But I agree, that large slant does not look good. I prefer
>something like 30 degrees.
>About the length: I also agree that they look too short.
>I'll try to come up with better values and post the results.

thanks for your attention, i've been working a bit on this myself trying
to get something similar to the scores of composers like boulez,
stockhausen and berio. these are values i found quite approximate:

+straight_flag_angle = -22;
+straight_upflag_length# = .8 black_notehead_width# +stemthickness#/2;
+straight_downflag_length# = .9 black_notehead_width# +
stemthickness# / 2;
+straight_flag_thickness# = 0.63 staff_space#;

the images attached show two small snippets of works by stockhausen
(zeitmasze) and boulez (le marteau sans maƮtre), and and what i got
using the code below:

\version "2.11.49"

{
    \autoBeamOff
    \time 3/8
    \override Stem #'flag-style = #'straight
    \override Stem #'length-fraction = #'1.5
    r8
    \acciaccatura {
         \stemDown
         \slurUp
         gis''8
         \stemNeutral
       } d'8 r16
       \acciaccatura c''8
       b'32 r
    r8. <g cis'>16 <f' g''>8
}

it can be seen in the zoomed image that there are some problems:

- the slash across the stem is too short and doesn't cross the flag
- the stem seems to be a bit too long and goes beyond the flag (is this
intended to be so?)

following my personal preferences, i also find these issues:

- the down flags have the right angle, but i find the up flags too
slanted...
- somehow i'd prefer the flags for eight notes to be a bit longer than
in the other cases.

any opinions? is this intended to be included in next releases of
lilypond?

>yes, exactly: I change them, remove one of the the emmentaler*.otf
>files, run make in the mf dir and then open the new .otf file in
>fontforge.

ugh... my method is way more primitive (and time consuming), i just
recompile and reinstall lilypond...

best,

lj