Re: Vertical stretching of groups

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Vertical stretching of groups
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:05:12 +0000 (UTC)

Andrew Hawryluk <ahawryluk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> That sounds very nice, but here's where I'm stuck:
> <<
>   \new Staff { ... }
>   \new Lyrics { ... }
>   \new Staff { ...}
> >>
> How does LP know which staff the Lyrics should be kept close to?

I haven't searched the internals.  I've just looked at the results
of my code.  Right now, I believe that a Lyrics context is aligned
close to the staff above it.

> What about the figured bass context? It should accept very little
> separation between itself and the staff above it, but this should not
> depend on what group it is inside.

Figured bass can be either above or below a staff (I have seen archival
sources with both alignments).  So I guess it should be quite similar to
Lyrics (although I don't think it currently is.

Probably the best way to get figured bass located properly to a staff is
to add it to a staff, rather than having its own context.  You can read
about this in the GDP docs NR 2.7.3.3, available at
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/index.html#Top

> Maybe each context would end up with a 'stretchiness-above' property
> that can have either a default value (zero for Lyrics and FiguredBass)
> or can inherit the value from the next group up in the hierarchy.

Stuff like this that is talking about changing the internals code should
be copied to the lilypond-devel list, as well.  You may get better
response over there.

Thanks,

Carl