Re: FiguredBass extenders for only part of the figure

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: FiguredBass extenders for only part of the figure
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:04:02 +0200

Am Dienstag, 10. Juni 2008 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> Am Samstag, 7. Juni 2008 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> > Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold <at> kainhofer.com> writes:
> > > In Mozarts "Benedictus sit Deus" the figured bass sometimes has
> > > figures, where one of the numbers uses extenders over the whole
> > > measure, while the second one is repeated. An scan of a hand-engraved
> > > score is attached.
> >
> > It came to me on my vacation that you just need to split add some 16th
> > note figures.  I've done it for the first figure pair, but not the rest.
>
> Thanks, that's also the workaround that I finally used. Unfortunately, it
> is not correct musically...

Hrmpf, just an hour after sending that mail, I found the correct solution
while reading the parser.yy: If you append \! to the figure, its extender
will be broken, so the correct way to get something like:
    6 ______   6 ______
    4  4  4  4   4  4  4  4
is simply:
    \set useBassFigureExtenders = ##t
    <6 4>8 <6 4\!> <6 4\!> <6 4\!>   <6\! 4\!>  <6 4\!> <6 4\!> <6 4\!>

Unfortunately, that's not documented (I've now added a snippet to the LSR)...

What I'm missing anyway is a complete syntax overview for figured bass and for
chords. Something like:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A figured bass entry [TODO: enter correct term...] is of the form
   < //number//modifier(s) ...  >duration
where number is either a number or _ to indicate an empty number, which still
takes space and displays any modifiers attached to it.
Supported modifiers (multiple modifiers per number are possible):
       + ... Raises the corresponding step (a sharp is shown)
       - ... Lowers the corresponding step (a flat is shown)
       ! ... Forces a natural step (a cancel sign is shown)
       \+ ... Augmented step (a plus is shown)
       / ... Diminished step (a forward slash through the number)
       \! ... Forces a breaks of any extender assigned to that step
There is no modifier for placing a backward slash through the number
(typically used indicating a raised sixth step).
One or more of the figures can also be placed between square brackets, e.g.
[ //number//modifier(s) //number//modifier(s)], to print square brackets
around these numbers.
Instead of //number//modifier(s), one can also enter a full markup.

Similarly, I'm missing a table of all possible chords (maj, min, dim, etc.) in
chord mode.

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --