Wish to specify staff length and note "justification"

From: Adam Orris
Subject: Wish to specify staff length and note "justification"
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 23:50:12 -0600

Hello,

I want to align Lilypond notes to tabbed columns of text in OpenOffice, but I am confused after reading and rereading the spacing and tweaking references as to what is the best way to do this.  Would you please point me to the correct reference or give an example?  I appreciate the help.

What I Tried
I have used the paper header line-width to stretch or shrink everything horizontally, but this causes one or another problem: when the notes align to the external document, the staff extends too far past the last note, making the overall appearance unbalanced.  When the staff aligns, the notes are scrunched too close together.  Below, I have made a representation of the problem.

(must view with a fixed-width font)

Example of Problem - Notes OK But Staff Too Long
OOo text:           |   |   |
Top staff line:    ------------------
LilyPond notes:     |   |   |
Bottom staff line: ------------------

or

Example of Problem - Staff OK But Notes Too Close
OOo text:           |   |   |

Top staff line:    -----------
LilyPond notes:     | | |
Bottom staff line: -----------

So I wish to specify the staff length, note spacing, and then shift or justify to the notes more to the center of the line, so there's little empty staff space after the last note.

Example of Desired Layout

OOo text:           |   |   |
Top staff line:    -----------
LilyPond notes:     |   |   |