Re: *.mid vs *.midi

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: *.mid vs *.midi
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:54:02 -0300

2008/5/19 Hans Aberg <address@hidden>:
>> I would propose to move the remainder of this discussion off the mailing
>> list.

Indeed, please discuss C++ vs Haskell somewhere else.

> My hope was to get to the discussion of using in Lilypond Haskell like a
> "import" construct, which I think might help LilyPond users, as opposed to
> the current "\include", which I think is more like the C preprocessor
> "#include", and is trickier to use.

While I agree sight-unseen that the Haskell mechanism is more elegant
than the C includes, the latter is a fairly simple mechanism, and
orthogonal to lilypond's namespace handling.  If you come up with any
improvements, you need to remember that it all has to also work with
guile's namespace handling in a logical way. Right now \paper and
\header introduce new scopes, and are implemented in terms of a Guile
module that import the top-level namespace.

> In Lilypond, I thought that perhaps it was such file setup problems that
> causes problems for users.

While the include mechanism is clumsy, last time I looked the most
common complaint was lack of documentation.  This may have changed in
the last year due to GDP.  Where are when it comes to usability ?