Re: horizontally aligning columns in \fill-line

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: horizontally aligning columns in \fill-line
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 23:08:06 +0200 (CEST)

Reinhold:
> In one of my scores, I'm writing two pages with the lyrics of a mass,
> together
> with the corresponding German/English translations. I'm using
> \fill-line {
>   \column{"Latin text"...}
>   \column{"German text"...}
>   \column{"English text"...}
> }
> to generate the three columns. However, since the mass has 6 pieces, I want
> the columns of all six text blocks to line up nicely. Currently, each
> \fill-line is layed out by itself, so the German and English translations are
> not properly aligned at all.

What happens if you make a column per page and language:

\markup {
\markup {\fill-line {
  \column {
    \bold "Kyrie eleison"
    ""
    "Kyrie eleison,"
    "Christe eleison,"
    "Kyrie eleison."
    ""
    \bold "Gloria in excelsis Deo"
    ""
    \italic "Gloria in excelsis Deo"
    "Et in terra pax"
    "Et vitam venturi saeculi."
    "Amen."
  }
  \column {
    ""
    ""
    "Herr, erbarme dich,"
    "Herr, erbarme dich,"
    "Christus, erbarme dich,"
    "Herr, erbarme dich!"
    ""
    ""
    ""
    \italic "Ehre sei Gott in der Höhe"
    "und Friede auf Erden"
    "Und an das Leben der kommenden Welt."
    "Amen"
  }
  \column {
    ""
    ""
    "Lord, have mercy,"
    "Christ, have mercy,"
    "Lord, have mercy."
    "And in the life of the world to come."
    "Amen."
\pageBreak

> Attached is the lilypond code and the output, where one can easily see what I
> want (look at the English translation of Kyrie and Gloria...) The PDF is too
> large to attach, so I uploaded it to our server:
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/temp/Test_Messe_Lyrics.pdf

Interesting.

I did something similar, but in latex at http://aspodata.se/noter/latin/
and latin vs. swedish.