Re: Chord names below staff?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Chord names below staff?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 11:32:51 +0100

Hi Luc

This example illustrates the difference between introducing chords with \chords and \chordmode. \chordmode simply interprets the following input as chords; \chords does the same but also creates an implicit ChordNames context. In your example I think the \context ChordNames command in the score does not create a new context as expected because one has already been created by the \chords command. (It would be better if LilyPond then placed it in the staff structure as specified in the \score block, but it appears it does not.)

There are at least two ways to avoid this confusion and get the structure you expect. You can move the override(s) into the harmonies variable and remove the ChordNames contexts, like this:

melody= { a 1  b c }
harmonies= \chords {
 \set chordChanges = ##t
 a1 b c
}
\score {
  <<
    \harmonies
    \new Staff = one \melody
    \harmonies

}

or you can use \chordmode and create the contexts explicitly with \new as below. I prefer this as I like to keep all the structure stuff explicitly in the \score block and the music in variables, to avoid surprises like this. I think this is clearer:

melody= { a 1  b c }
harmonies= \chordmode {
 \set chordChanges = ##t
 a1 b c