Re: Moving a volta bracket vertically

From: Risto Vääräniemi
Subject: Re: Moving a volta bracket vertically
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:18:00 +0300

Dear Sven,

2008/4/27 Sven Axelsson :
>  Could someone please tell
>  me what the current way of moving the volta brackets down, possibly
>  overlapping the music, would be?

I've been wondering that, too, but I've found no magic bullet so far.
Sometimes I have used extra-offset to lower the VoltaBracket to the
desired level. That, however, takes place after the spacing
calculations have already been made. On tightly set pages this is not
good.

Another way is to use Y-extent and minimum-Y-extent. In this case you
have to calculate (test) the right values for the Y extent and the
height of the bracket. The upside is that this way the spacing
calculations should be correct. See the example.

Question:
Could VoltaBracket be changed in such a way that it would sense the
skyline and lower itself closer to the staff if the stuff would not
collide with the bracket or the volta number?

-Risto

%%%%
\version "2.11.43"

\paper
{
    ragged-right = ##t
}

\relative c'
{
    \override Score.VoltaBracket #'edge-height = #'(3.0 . 3.0)
    \override Score.VoltaBracket #'Y-extent = #'(0 . 0.0)
    \override Score.VoltaBracket #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-0.35 . 0.0)

    \repeat volta 2 {
    c1
    }\alternative {{
    c2 c^\f