Re: GDP: NR 1.7 Editorial second draft

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.7 Editorial second draft
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:43:01 -0700

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:12:45 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> First, on a general note, some sections are missing @predefined.
> Should it be included even if there's only one predefined command?

@predefined is only used for predefined macros -- ie the stuff
found in ly/propert-init.ly.  There aren't all that many of these,
so we'll have a lot of sections without one.

Hmm.  Trevor, what's the general term for these tweak-commands?
ie
doFoo = { \override #'blah = #'bar }

IIRC we discussed standardizing the name of these, and IIRC we
chose "macros".  If so, I'd better change @predefined to print
"Predefined macros" intead of "... commands".
I definitely think we should standardize on one term, and
@predefined should match what's in LM 4.

> Second, some thoughts about the individual sections:
>
> Hidden notes:
> - perhaps it should mention that objects attached to hidden notes are
> still visible.

Good catch, thanks!

> Parentheses:
> - snippet needs an example for tweaking inside chords.

You mean parenthesizing an individual note inside a chord?
Thanks, done.

> - possible @knownissues: doesn't create single parentheses around a
> chord; as the snippet shows, is made up of stacked parentheses round
> each note.

Hmm... ok, added.

> Balloon help:
> - balloon text takes up space (pretty noticeable in the snippet).
> Perhaps mention override or create \textLengthOn & -Off equivalents?

Hmm, I'm not certain that balloons are used often enough to make
it worthwhile, but I added them anyway, since it looks so ugly by
default.

> Grid lines:
> - move explanation of gridInterval and engravers out of snippet.

Difficult to do without using lots of @code{propertyNames} in the
main text.  In this case, I'd rather keep the explanation in the
code.

> Analysis brackets:
> - though it's not part of any context by default, the examples should
> add the engraver to the Voice context, otherwise the direction can't
> be set per-voice.

Thanks, done.

Cheers,
- Graham