Re: English Translation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: English Translation
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:31:48 +0200 (CEST)

> > > "- what is a good way of translating the German "ewig reicher
> > > Gott", [...]
>
> The meaning of "reich" in this example is extremely uncommon in
> (modern) German.  I *guess* it refers to the old stem of "-rich"
> (like in names) that means "ruler", similar to "Reich" (empire, see
> "dein Reich komme" in German paternoster).

I disagree.  Doing a quick search with google I find the following
title of this song:

  Dich loben deine Werke, du ewig reicher Gott

which is a text written by Arno Pötzsch.  I can also find a citation
from a (copyrighted) theological book:

  ... als ewig reicher Gott ist er sozusagen in sich selber narrativ;
  und das Evangelium erweist sich aus seiner eigenen Substanz heraus
  immer wieder neu ...

So IMHO it doesn't refer to God's power but rather his eternal ability
of being `rich in everything' -- full of love, full of power, etc.,
etc.

    Werner