Re: Parentheses around a ChordName and unending LyricExtenders

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Parentheses around a ChordName and unending LyricExtenders
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:08:38 +0200

Christopher Johnson wrote:
Salutations, y'all!

I have two questions.

How do I put parentheses around a ChordName grob generated from a \new ChordNames { } staff? I'm typesetting some of my cousin's compositions for her and she insists this is very important. The only thing that I've found that comes close to doing what I want is to omit the chords to be parenthesized from the ChordNames context and then tack them on as above-staff markups in the appropriate places—which looks bad because the parenthesized chord markup grobs are not properly aligned vertically with the ChordName grobs. Any help here?
Popular question! See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-03/msg00275.html However, note that with the upcoming LilyPond version 2.11.44, you will be able to use
   \parenthesize f:sus4

Second question. I have found that when I am typesetting a song with multiple verses but a common refrain, that it looks much better not to have the refrain lyrics repeated on each verse's Lyrics staff above and below each other, but instead to only display the refrain once in a single Lyrics staff context. The trouble with this is that I have verses whose final syllables must be followed by lyric extenders __

I have found that if I do not put any additional words or syllables after a lyric extender (in the same Lyrics staff context) and where the music continues onward after the lyric extender should stop, then the lyric extender will just go on indefinitely!! That's definitely not what I want.
I couldn't repeat the problem here. Test case:
verse = \relative c' { c d e f }
refrain = \relative c' { e d c2 }
verselyrics = \lyricmode { A B C D __ }
refrainlyrics = \lyricmode { and the rest }

\score{
<<
 \new Staff { \new Voice = "v" \verse \new Voice = "r" \refrain }
 \new Lyrics << \lyricsto "v" \verselyrics \lyricsto "r" \refrainlyrics >>

}

P.S. I'm not sure how much or how little of my lilypond source or output is necessary or useful for me to send along with my email, and what the best way to do that is (i.e. attachments or links or whatnot), so just let me know what other materials you need to help me crack this problem and I'll send them along as soon as I can.
It's always a good idea to prepare a small but complete example and include a copy of the .ly code in the email. This makes it much easier to realize what problem you have and to try different
solutions without first having to invent an example yourself.

  /Mats