Re: merging simultaneous rests from two voices

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: merging simultaneous rests from two voices
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:01:27 +0200

Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Montag, 31. März 2008 schrieb Wilbert Berendsen:
>> Related question: isn't there a simpler way to just merge rests if they
>> occur in both voices? Something like:
>>      \override Staff.NoteColumn #'merge-rests = ##t
>
> You know, the LSR contains lots of gems:
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=336

Thank you!

About that snippet (which I use all the time, whether I need it or
not): I recently discovered that it doesn't work with
\context{\RemoveEmptyStaffContext}.  For some reason, the following
does work and gives the same effect as
\context{\RemoveEmptyStaffContext}:

    \context {
      %% Almost, but not quite, like RemoveEmptyStaffContext
      \Staff
      % \remove "Axis_group_engraver"
      \consists "Hara_kiri_engraver"
      \override Beam #'auto-knee-gap = #'()
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-empty = ##t
    }

...just in case anyone was seeing the same problem.

(I'm still of the opinion that rest merging should be built-in and
default behaviour, and I will be until someone shows me a
hand-engraved counterexample.)

-- Arvid