Re: Shortcut for epeated chords?

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Shortcut for epeated chords?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:50:20 +0100

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> If you find the \repeat unfold syntax too long to type in, you can easily
> defined a macro with a shorter name:
> rr = #(define-music-function (parser location num music)(number? ly:music?)
> #{ \repeat unfold $num $music #})

I think you still don't understand what is being requested.

Think of it like this: if I want to write successive 8th notes with
different pitches, I can write, e.g.,

   c8 d8 e8 f8 g8 a8 b8 c8

or just,

   c8 d e f g a b c

... and Lilypond automatically picks up that the later notes are to be
8th notes.

Now suppose instead I have some pitch-set, which could be a single note
or a chord, e.g.

or

   a8 a16 a a4 a16 a8 a16

The 'repeat' notation won't work because the rhythms keep changing, but
can some shorthand be developed for 'the same pitches as last time' to
add to whatever rhythm we want?

e.g. if I assume x means 'the last notes', I could write the above as,

   <c e g>8 x16 x x4 x16 x8 x16

or

   a8 x16 x x4 x16 x8 x16

Note that it's useful even in the second case because if I later decide
I don't want the note to be a, but b, I can change it without having to
touch the pitch of every note.

I'm not saying that x should be the notation, but just trying to give an
example of what's meant and how it could work.