Re: Lilypond vs Finale [translation into English]

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Lilypond vs Finale [translation into English]
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:43:15 +0100

Salut Jean-Gabriel,

Je vais essayer une petite traduction pour les membres de la liste qui
ne parlent pas le français .... j'espère que je le peux bien faire.  SVP
de me corriger si j'ai fait les erreurs.

Une question -- dans votre paragraphe "Peut-on inserer les tournes ..."
 Cela signifie par exemple le cas ou on veut diviser une partie des
violons de 1 portée à 2 ou plus, avec le potentiel pour chaqu'un d'avoir
sa propre temps?

I'm just going to attempt a little translation of Jean-Gabriel's message
for the non-French speakers on the list -- I hope it comes out all
right.  If any other French+English speakers notice any mistakes, please
point them out.

Hello, I use Finale 2007, which I like a lot for its ease of use and its
numerous possibilities.

I came across your site via an email from a friend.  Your project seems
interesting but I don't understand certain things.

For example, the font used -- can this be changed?

With Finale I have been able to attain very interesting results.  For
me, it is not sufficient for the music to be playable -- the results
have to be pleasing to the eye.

Can one mix notes between staves?  Can one alter the size of the staves,
and of the page?

Can one insert into a part a division between 1 and 2 or more staves,
with 1 part on each, with the possibility to divide into 1, 2 or more
different time signatures?

[The last paragraph is a little difficult for me to understand but I
think what is meant is whether it is possible to take a part which
up-until-now has been on one stave, and expand it into several staves,
each carrying its own part and (potentially) with different time
signatures.]

I loaded the software but it does not seem to work under Vista ... can
you perhaps work on compatibility?

Thanks for any responses you can give me.

Best wishes