Re: How to tweak glissandos with a scheme function?

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: How to tweak glissandos with a scheme function?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:39:47 +0000

Hi Eric,

On 23/03/2008, Papa Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, I would like to write a shortcut for glissandos that appear too
>  short. Here is what  I have managed to make work so far:
>
>  % make next glissando as I want
>  shortgliss = #(define-music-function (parser location) ()
>  #{ \once \override Glissando #'thickness = #2
>     \once \override Glissando #'gap = #0.1
>     \once \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1
>  #} )

I admire your ingenuity with this solution, but there's a much simpler
way of achieving this without having to use a shortcut every time
there's a problem glissando:

\version "2.11.42"
\paper { ragged-right = ##t }
{
  % default, glissando is invisible
  a8\glissando b a b
  % set spacing rods so we can override the minimum length
  \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #5
  a\glissando b
  \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #8
  a\glissando b
}

Regards,
Neil