Flamenco notation (cont'd); questions and call for comments

From: Oscar van Eijk
Subject: Flamenco notation (cont'd); questions and call for comments
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:22:34 +0100

Hi All,

Last week I sent a mail with some flamenco notations. Since then, I've
been playing around a little (the result is just too big to attach; it's
at http://vaneyck.terra-terra.com/flamenco.pdf).
The inline lilypond code uses the attached flamenco.ly.
It contains a simple up-down stroke with the index, a 3- and 4- finger
rasqueado, an abanico and an alzapua.

Question to all Flamenco guitarists/Lilypond users; what's your opinion
about this notation?

For all who can help me further a few questions:
- I want to use symbols like:
iUp   = \markup{i}^\rtoe
iDown = \markup{i}^\rtoe
to make notating a bit shorter, but the ^\ltoe and ^\rtoe are not
accepted here. Should I use a different syntax?

- The text "Abanico" should be above the 'p x i' indications. How can I
achieve that? An override extra-offset does not seem accepted between
markups.

- Same with the golpe symbol; it should always appear above the 'p', but
sometimes it's below and collides with the 'p'.

- Last but not least; the figures appear quite often in a flamenco
piece, so I'ld prefer to have some function that allows me to enter e.g.
\rasgueado3 { <a e' a cis e>16 }.
I found the "Music function" section in the docs, but if I understand
this chapter correct, that works only for layout and can't take pieces
of music (in the case a chord) as an argument.
Am I wrong?

Here's my testcode:

\version "2.11.41"

\include "flamenco.ly"

%iUp   = \markup{i}^\rtoe
%iDown = \markup{i}^\rtoe

part = \relative c' {
%  <a, e' a cis e>8^\iUp
%  <a e' a cis e>8^\iDown
  <a, e' a cis e>8^\rtoe^\markup{i}
  <a e' a cis e>8^\ltoe^\markup{i}
  r4
  r2^\golpe

  <a e' a cis e>16^\rtoe^\markup{a}
  \headsOff
  <a e' a cis e>^\rtoe^\markup{m}
        <a e' a cis e>^\rtoe^\markup{i}
        <a e' a cis e>^\ltoe^\markup{i}~
  \headsOn
  <a e' a cis e>2
        r4

  % Tuplet number should be set transparent, since the
  % headsOff is in the tuplet.
  %
  \once \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t
  \times 4/5 {
    <a e' a cis e>16^\rtoe^\markup{\small x}
    \headsOff
    <a e' a cis e>^\rtoe^\markup{\small a}
    <a e' a cis e>^\rtoe^\markup{\small m}
    <a e' a cis e>^\rtoe^\markup{\small i}
    <a e' a cis e>^\ltoe^\markup{\small i}~
    \headsOn
  }
  <a e' a cis e>2
  r4

  % Tuplet number should be set transparent, since the
  % headsOff is in the tuplet.
  %
  \once \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t
  \times 2/3 {
    <a e' a cis e>8^\ltoe^\markup{p}^\abanico
    \headsOff
    <a e' a cis e>^\rtoe^\markup{x}
                <a e' a cis e>^\rtoe^\markup{i}
    \headsOn
  }

  % And again, since headsOn makes it visible again
[...]

                a8^\markup{p}
                <e' a>^\rtoe^\golpe^\markup{p}
                <e a>^\ltoe^\markup{p}
        }
        \times 2/3 {
                a,8^\markup{p}
                <e' a>^\rtoe^\golpe
                <e a>^\ltoe
        }
        \times 2/3 {
                a,8^\markup{p}
                <e' a>^\rtoe^\golpe^\markup{p}
                <e a>^\ltoe^\markup{p}
        }
        \times 2/3 {
                a,8^\markup{p}
                <e' a>^\rtoe^\golpe
                <e a>^\ltoe
        }
  \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##f
}

\score {
        \new StaffGroup <<
                \context Staff=part <<