Re: dotted or dashed phrasing slurs

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: dotted or dashed phrasing slurs
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:58:01 +0100

Am Samstag, 8. März 2008 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> Am Samstag, 8. März 2008 schrieb Peter Kaplan:
> > I am interested in making phrasing slurs that are (graphically, not
> > rhythmically) dotted or dashed, in order to differentiate them visually
> > from ordinary legato slurs (to be represented with solid slurs).  Is
> > there a way to do this straightforwardly in lilypond?
>
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=133

Oh, right, if you want to have these settings apply to real phrasing slurs
generated by \( and \), then you can't use \slurDashed, but have to apply the
appropriate settings on the PhrasingSlur object. if you look at the file
ly/property-init.ly, there is the definition for \slurDashed:

slurDashed = {
  \override Slur #'dash-period = #0.75
  \override Slur #'dash-fraction = #0.4
}

This sets the appropriate settings for slurs. For phrasing slurs, you would
simply have to define your own command, setting dash-period for PhrasingSlur:

phrasingSlurDashed = {
  \override PhrasingSlur #'dash-period = #0.75
  \override PhrasingSlur #'dash-fraction = #0.4
}
phrasingSlurDotted = {
  \override PhrasingSlur  #'dash-period = #0.75
  \override PhrasingSlur #'dash-fraction = #0.1
}
phrasingSlurSolid = {
  \revert PhrasingSlur #'dash-period
  \revert PhrasingSlur #'dash-fraction
}

Sample file (the lsr example, adapted to phrasing slurs) is attached.

cheers,
Reinhold

PS: I wonder if we shouldn't add these definitions to ly/property-init.ly for
the sake of consistency...