Re: How to use line-break-penalty?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: How to use line-break-penalty?
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:59:02 +1100

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 13:46 +0000, Mark Knoop wrote:
> I'm trying to use the line-break-penalty property of the
> paper-column-interface to set some preferred line-breaking positions
> (e.g. to prefer a line break at the start of a variation in a set of
> variations, or at a repeat sign).
>
> However I'd prefer not to _force_ a line-break with \break as I want the
> source to be usable for different paper and staff sizes. (LaTeX does
> this well with \linebreak[2], for example.)
>
> I'm using:
>
> \once \override Score.PaperColumn #'line-break-penalty = #-20
>
> but it doesn't seem to be having any effect. Any ideas?

There are 3 things I can think of: first, you need to override
Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn instead of Score.PaperColumn (the
PaperColumn contains only notes and other musical objects while the
NonMusicalPaperColumn containes bar lines; line breaks always occur in a
NonMusicalPaperColumn).

The second thing is something that applies whenever you override a paper
column: the override has to be one timestep _before_ the place where it
takes affect. Don't ask me why.

And the third thing is that you may want a value smaller than -20. I
used -100 to no effect (admittedly not on a real-world example).

Hope that helps,
Joe