Re: Autobeaming with subdivision in 4/4

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Autobeaming with subdivision in 4/4
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 21:34:32 +0100

On 4 Mar 2008, at 13:20, Hugo Flordal wrote:

The problem is that you want to beam differently than
implied by the time signature you want to write. So you
want to beam in what might be described as 8 =
(1+1)+(1+1)+(1+1)+(1+1), whereas the common interpretation
of 4 is (1+1)+(1+1) or perhaps 1+1+1+1. If taken
literally, your beaming implies that the 4/4 has one
primary accent, and on the 1/4s have secondary accents.
Then each 1/4 has a yet subordinate accent on the second
1/8 of it. And LilyPond does not a dedicated function
doing just that, though it might be possible to do write
one.

Thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure I get it... Are
you saying (indirectly) that when I set the beatLength to
1/8, I implicitly change the timing to 8/8? Should I then
use 8/8 beaming rules? Is that why my 4/4 auto-beam rules do
not work but the */* rules do?

No. LilyPond currently only has ready-made high-level functions for some standard situations, where time signature and beaming agree. In other cases one will have to use low level functions, as I showed you.

  Hans Aberg