Re: Autobeaming with subdivision in 4/4

From: Hugo Flordal
Subject: Re: Autobeaming with subdivision in 4/4
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:20:11 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Hans Aberg wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2008, at 22:32, Hugo Flordal wrote:
> >
> > OK, thanks, that's one solution... but I guess that is
> > not the "right" way of doing it? Another way to do it is
> > to run these lines instead of the 4/4 specific ones I
> > gave in the example file.
> >
> > #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * *) 1 4 'Voice)
> > #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * *) 2 4 'Voice)
> > #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * *) 3 4 'Voice)
> >
> > Then (surprisingly(?)) it works fine, and the output
> > looks great. However, I do not want */* rules since I
> > want to place these lines in a generic definition file
> > that I \include everywhere, which would mess up all non
> > */4 scores. (Right now I have a beautiful definition
> > file where everything but the auto-beaming is configured
> > nicely for my scottish snare drumming needs.)
> >   So... can it be done "the right way" (presumably by
> > reverting and overriding the auto-beaming rules(?))? Or
> > perhaps these are bugs that I, as a user, can not
> > overcome without hacks like these?
> >
> >   thanks
> >     hguo
> >

> The problem is that you want to beam differently than
> implied by the time signature you want to write. So you
> want to beam in what might be described as 8 =
> (1+1)+(1+1)+(1+1)+(1+1), whereas the common interpretation
> of 4 is (1+1)+(1+1) or perhaps 1+1+1+1. If taken
> literally, your beaming implies that the 4/4 has one
> primary accent, and on the 1/4s have secondary accents.
> Then each 1/4 has a yet subordinate accent on the second
> 1/8 of it. And LilyPond does not a dedicated function
> doing just that, though it might be possible to do write
> one.
>
>  Hans Ã…berg

Thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure I get it... Are
you saying (indirectly) that when I set the beatLength to
1/8, I implicitly change the timing to 8/8? Should I then
use 8/8 beaming rules? Is that why my 4/4 auto-beam rules do
not work but the */* rules do? I will eagerly try this as
soon as I can... that would solve my problems and also
explain some of the strange behaviour of the auto-beams.
  For the general discussion, my interpretation of beam
subdivision is something that is orthogonal to the beaming
given by the timing. E.g. for 6/8 I could very well want
beams of length 3/8 with subdivision on either 1/8 or 3/16
(or no subdivision at all), depending on musical beat,
esthetics, readability, or for whatever reason.
Subdividision on "beats" is just a special case!
  Unfortunately, in lilypond, subdivision is tied to the
timing, since both use the "beatLength" property. A separate
property for setting the subdivision length would have been
more generic... is that hard to implement, you think?

  thanks again
    Hugo