Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:00:55 +0100

On 26 Feb 2008, at 07:39, Kurt Kroon wrote:

BACKGROUND

We now have a number of different terms to refer to several closely related
concepts:

* polymeter
* polymetric time signature
* double time signature
* compound time signature

How can we normalize the terminology?

You can't :-), because there are at least two major incompatible terminology systems. The divide sees to go between Germanic (down to the Balkans) and Anglo-Latin countries. In the latter, one thinks of the meter as subdivided into parts, even if that is not implied by the meter definition, and it is called simple if these subdivisions are by two. So 2/4 is called simple, even if the piece consist only of triplets, as each 1/4 is though of as subdivided into 2 parts.

The Germanic tradition seems to refer on the metric subaccent structure. So 2- and 3-time are simple, but 4-time, which is usually described as 2+2, is called compound. That is
     >  - (>) -
  4: |  |  |  |    (2+2)
It is though possible to play 4 as
     >  -  -  -
  4: |  |  |  |    (2+2)
Traditional notation does not distinguish between the two, but in modern notation, I think one should be able to.

So ... what are your thoughts?

I think LilyPond needs to mention both: my experience is that anyone is used to the one system will not easily adjust to the other.

My own preference is a variation of the Germanic tradition that fits well with the complex meters I am used to.

(
Elsewhere -- just to add them to the mix -- I've seen:
* mixed meter / mixed time signatures
* additive time signatures

I think this in the Germanic tradition, this is the same as compound.

* alternating time signatures
)

I think this might be a tune that alternates between meters, typically in an irregular fashion, so that one writes out a single time signature for it. In old times, if the piece alternates between say 6/8 and 3/4, one would just write out one, but today, one may want to write
 3 6
 4 8
(no "+" here).

* polymeter -- the most generic term
    * sequential polymeter -- Ralph's definition
        * regular
        * irregular
    * simultaneous polymeter -- Valentin's definition
        * regular and irregular (theoretically)

Harvard Concise agrees with me that polymeter means simultaneous (parallel) use of different meters. But it notes that sometimes it is used to denote different meters used in succession. The "sequential polymeter" might instead be called "alternating meter" (see below).

Following Hindemith, "Elementary Training", which adheres to the Germanic tradition (despite the fact the book seems to be written in English at Yale), an irregular meter is one which is not repeated regularly. So CPP (Common Practice Period) 9 = 3+3+3 would be regular, but the Bulgarian Daychovo 9 = 2+2+2+3 would be irregular.

I think the Anglo-Latin tradition uses a different definition, but I do not remember it.

And here's what happens to the list of terms above:

* polymetric time signature
Deleted: although it implies sequential polymeter, it has too many possible
interpretations to be useful.

I think such keyword should be in places where they might apply, because one is searching for them. For example, I was wanted to figure out how to typeset ametric music, but it turns out that LilyPond calls in "unmetered", and the difference is hard to capture in a search. And failed search may end up as a post to the users list :-).

* double time signature

So in Germanic tradition, this would be 2-time. 3-time is triple time. 4=2+2 and 6=3+3 time are compound. And again, the Anglo-Latin definitions are different.

* compound time signature
* additive time signatures

Or specifically, one must distinguish between "meter" ("time") and "time signature". So I think it should be:

* double meter (time)
* compound meter (time)

with no "time signature". - The time signature is what is drawn. The meter was often be inferred by some other information in the context, like beaming, type of tune, etc.

* alternating time signatures

Again, dropping "signature", I think alternating meters just mean meter changing from measure to measure, normally written out.

An alternation time sigature might be the one above
  3 6
  4 8

  Hans Ã…berg