Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: David Fedoruk
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:14:20 -0800

I believe the original post asked for how it was *commonly* referred
to as. My reply was either transposition or displacement. Neither one
of these ways is most or exactly accurate. We should, as I've said
before, fall back on the standard reference volumes for music ...
those are Harvard Dictionary and the Groves Dictionary or Music and
Musicians.

Personally I like the way Groves has side stepped the issue and merely
recorded the standard terms which are in Italian. We should keep to
the accepted standards as much as is possible. One thing is very
certain, it is extremely frustrating to find music with instructions
in a language I do not understand when it is possible to give the same
instructions in terms which are almost universally accepted in that
particular type of music. In this case it is Western European Music.

Nothing in the history of music has been decreed or set down in stone,
in general musicians have agreed upon a standard way of communicating.
Lilypond should adopt those as far as is possible. To be sure, much
has transpired in the past 150 years that no one could have foreseen.
So we have atonal music and the need to have ways of addressing those
needs.

As far as is possilbe, that should be done in terms which are easily
understood by most musicians. I'm sure that the writers of both
Harvard and Groves have already had these discussions. Lets learn from
them and  save ourselves the hassle of repeating those same
discussions.

We also will have music from non-european traditions to address, so we
all have to keep that in mind as well.

Cheers,
David

--
David Fedoruk
B.Mus. UBC,1986

http://recordjackethistorian.wordpress.com
"Music is enough for one's life time, but one life time is not enough
for music" Sergei Rachmaninov