Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:34:31 -0600

Hi all,

Even more to the (semantic?) point, the following two are IDENTICAL with respect to pitch:

\version "2.11.37"
\include "english.ly"

musicClef = \relative
{
        \clef "treble" f e d c
        \clef "treble_8" bf a g f
}

musicOct = \relative
{
        f e d c
        #(set-octavation -1) bf a g f
}

\score
{
        <<
                \musicClef
                \musicOct

}

In NEITHER case are the PITCHES "transposed" in any way -- in both cases, the PITCHES are identical... and the same as "the original".

What's happening here is that, in Version #1 (the clef change) we're explicitly showing that the notation is in a different clef, whereas in Version #2 (octavation) we're using a shorthand to transpose the CLEF ITSELF (while leaving the pitches exactly where they are)!

Therefore, I suggest something like "Clef transposition and octavation", or something like that, so that it's clear that the PITCHES are not being transposed in any way.

Cheers,
Kieren.