Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:12:14 +0000

Hi Kurt,
The only other term I've heard is "octavization", which is as ugly-sounding as "octavation". I prefer "octave transposition", which describes exactly what is going on in your piece.
Cheers,
Ian Hulin

Kurt Kroon wrote:
I'm working on the Glossary for the GDP, and I'm stuck -- so, I'm canvassing
the list.  Here's the scenario:

    You've written a composition with a passage that needs to be played in a
different octave.  When you describe it (this passage) to another musician,
what term do you use?  And do you use the same term or a different one for
the actual _process of writing_ the passage in a different octave (if you
even bother to name the process)?

Since this will go into the glossary, please respond with the preferred term
in any of these languages:

Danish
Dutch
English
Finnish
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Swedish

Thanks!
Kurtis

PS: Internally, LilyPond calls this "octavation" ... which I only included
because I couldn't think of a better term.

______________________________________________ This email has been scanned by Netintelligence http://www.netintelligence.com/email