Re: fermata and text (markup) on/above one note

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: fermata and text (markup) on/above one note
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:21:34 +0100

Trevor Bača wrote:

    To understand why, you have to understand what the default setting
    of DynamicLineSpanner #'Y-extent does, namely to calculate the actual
    extent of the included dynamics indications. Then, once this has done,
    the placement of the full DynamicLineSpanner is determined using the
    padding and staff-padding properties, that specify the distance from
    the upper edge of the full DynamicLineSpanner to the closest note
    and/or
    staff. When you instead specify a fixed value of Y-extent, LilyPond
    won't care about the actual extent of the dynamics and align it as if
    the top was at, say, 1 (if you set #'Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1))
    relative to
    the internal reference point of the DynamicLineSpanner. To
    complete the
    picture, every element included in the DynamicLineSpanner, such as a
    Hairpin or DynamicText makes its own alignment relative to the
    reference point of the DynamicLineSpanner.

Excellent. Thank you so much for the explanation. And I think what I was missing is the basic concept that turning Y-extent on is the point at which we cause Lily to ignore the actual, graphic dimensions (in the y direction) of various objects. Makes perfect sense.
Perhaps the main point is that you don't "turn on the Y-extent", rather you turn
off the exact calculation of the Y-extent that's done by default.

   /Mats