Re: file structure (hierarchy) - where to put \set

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: file structure (hierarchy) - where to put \set
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:14:34 -0500

Hi Andrew,

My view is that it is preferable to put the skipBars (and other \set
commands) into a section away from the music.

I also believe that.

Any hints as to where I am going wrong,

When the skipBars property is being set, you need to use \set only if it's inline (inside the music); if it's in the \context block or some other meta-musical position, you simply need the property name.

The attached example shows the setting in three equivalent locations/ versions.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.
__________________________

\version "2.10.25"

\score
{
        %%  here, the setting is "inline" with the music expression
        {
                \set Score.skipBars = ##t
                R1*10

\score
{
        %%  here, we first include the music expression...
        { R1*10 }

        %%  and then the setting inside a \layout block for this \score
        \layout
        {